[KB] Questions for discussion at my panel

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Fri Jun 23 14:02:48 EDT 2017

I agree with Ed that Burke's "Destiny of Acceptance Frames" provides
the broad standpoint needed to consider current shifts.

I would formulate these shifts somewhat differently, however, mainly
more broadly.

Consider that in the 1700s and 1800s, democratic culture helped
capitalism defeat the aristocracy economically, politically, and
finally culturally. Remnants of the aristocracy remain (e.g., UK's
monarchy), but in the 1900s the defeat of the aristocracy was completed.

But in the 1900s, democratic culture started legalizing unions and
passing laws restraining capitalism. Democratic culture began to
become a problem rather than a solution for capitalist expansion.

Today, authoritarian culture may be more useful to capitalist
expansion than democratic culture (China?). Perhaps the rise is
quicker in the US than in Europe. Maybe, more hopefully, having seen
the rise in the US, Europe may be reacting against it.

Education, as Ed suggests, may be especially important insofar as
different levels of education may track different responses to
authoritarianism. Education does correlate with income, but when you
get to the top 1% you're dealing with a difference that makes a
difference ("dark money").

Such shifts take time to play out but Burke's acceptance/rejection
does provide a standpoint from which to track what is happening.

Bob