[KB] Questions for discussion at my panel

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Fri Jun 23 12:23:09 EDT 2017

Burkophiles,

At the risk of being reprimanded again for injecting current politics into our sacrosanct parlor discussion, allow me to respond to Carrol’s response to Herb’s conference panel question.

Many factors account for Clinton’s “loss” to Trump in 2016. I put “loss” in quotation marks because, if the U.S. were actually a democracy, Clinton would have won by almost three million votes. Everything’s gerrymandered to beat the band, including our outdated Electoral College. You can read the chapter “Program” in CS as a paean to democracy as a discursive necessity.

But let’s get to the most intriguingly proleptic Burkean commentary on 2016, “The Destiny of Acceptance Frames” in ATH. Trump’s irregular burlesque-cum-factionally tragic campaign discourse (that’s how I see it) went with, and signaled, the frame-breaking we surely must note in the altered voting patterns in rustbelt states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. A must-read essay on this potentially tectonic shift appeared in yesterday’s NYTimes: “The End of the Left and the Right as We Knew Them,” by Thomas Edsall. The frame-breaking is occurring across the Western world, most notably in recent elections in the U.K. (June 8), France, the Netherlands, and Austria.

Across the board, the new and most prominent demographic indicators of left vs. right are education and income: Those with college and advanced degrees go left; with high school or less, they go right. The same with income: Kensington in London, the richest voting district in the UK, went Labour on June 8 for the first time ever. The formerly class-based politics is being replaced by culture-based. Labor/social-democratic parties lost ground precipitously in all recent European elections, except in England. And there, it was enhanced Labour Party-voting in Conservative districts that inflated their vote total. Now, it’s “a more racially and zenophobic politics, on the one hand, and a politics capitalizing on increasing levels of education and open-mindedness in the electorate, on the other.”

The upshot, as Edsall seems to see it, translated into Burkean terms: Don’t expect too much from the symbolic species. What is required of the left is “some thoughtful and humane co-optation in the form of deference to our limits and boundaries.”

Reckoning by their pieties and allegiances, how much accelerating “diversity” and social marginalization can the working class, already beset by economic globalization, absorb?

Ed