[KB] Burke and Connotation

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Fri Apr 3 13:24:29 EDT 2015

Burkophiles,

	A retired Republican state senator used to write a column for our afternoon newspaper.  In a piece I strongly disapproved of, he quoted Harry Truman to make his main polemical point.  I called him on the phone to complain.  The Senator said, “I didn’t say that.  Harry Truman said that.”

	Most disingenuous.  The Senator was using what we might call “reluctant” testimony to round out his case.  He wouldn’t take ownership.

	How many times have I heard this week references to Bill Clinton and his signing, in 1993, of the federal religious rights act.  The Republican governors of Indiana and Arkansas, and their supporters, have zealously enlisted this Democratic president in pursuit of their cause.  “See,” they are implying, “even godless liberals acknowledge the need for religious freedom, freedom of conscience.”

	Remember the going linkages on the Right: “Democrat” =”liberal”=”godless[ness]=”persecution of Christians.”  Conservative provocateur Ann Coulter memorialized those associations in the very title of one of her books.  Last night in his opening “memo,” Bill O’Reilly linked the gay rights street protestors directly to the Muslim Jihadis who have recently massacred Christians in Kenya and elsewhere.  These enemies of the faith are all of a piece, out to bring down Christian religion anyway they can.

	Our daughter Beth is a Presbyterian minister.  Two weeks ago she was interviewed on gay marriage, point/counterpoint, on a radio show in Providence, RI.  She argued in support of gay marriage.  Beth is not “godless,” nor, I don’t believe, is she “anti-Christian.”  There is not a “religious Left,” however, in the pinched worldview of the Coulters and O’Reillys.

	Which brings me to the “reluctant” aspect, or close to it, of a quotation I put in a footnote a few posts back.  It had to do with the title of an article in The New Republic.  It went something like, “I Hated the ‘New Atheists’ Until I Read Sam Harris’s New Book.”  Now, I want to make clear, I personally do not even use the word “atheist” in my own discourse, private or public.  I say “nontheist.”  This rhetorical choice mirrors my disdain for the term “prostitute,” as well.  I substitute “sex worker.”  “Nontheist” and “sex worker” both carry the message, “I do not condemn you.”  As Burke says in PLF, p. 35, “The overtones of a usage are revealed ‘by the company it keeps’ . . . .”  On the small, isolated island called “Academe,” the word “atheist” keeps very good company.  In the Great Wide World, though---not so much.  Tuesday a week ago, CNN aired a program entitled “The Atheists.”  One of
 the nonbelievers interviewed acknowledged the invidious connotations of that word.  He feared “coming out” in that “company.”

        I personally do not “hate” the “new atheists,” as they are currently and publicly labeled, the likes of Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and Hitchens.  Nor was I trying to make a point on the back of the TNR author.  To me, “atheist,” as in “new atheists,” refers only to public figures who write books and go on television for the purpose of stamping out all religious faith, or who attend conventions like the one held a few years back in California, where the Dawkinses strategize their antireligious program of action.  They are the extreme “antis.”  I do oppose their AGENDA.

        I preached on the “new atheists” at UUCL.  I noted that Sam Harris, in The End of Faith, holds liberal theists in the highest contempt.  Liberal theists lend some cover to the Fundamentalists.  That’s bad enough.  Worse still, unlike Evangelical Protestants, liberals of faith don’t recognize the danger Islam poses for America and Europe, as well as the Middle East.  Liberals are tolerant toward everybody!  That goes double or triple for UUs.  People of all faith or nonfaith orientations are explicitly welcomed to our fellowship in the “Opening Words.”  A mobile with about a dozen religious symbols, including Islam’s, hangs from the ceiling in the front of our sanctuary.  UUs are the most divorced from “reality,” according to Harris.

        Anyway, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by the title of that TNR article.  I thought there was a bit of humor in it, the notion that anyone writing for that “godless,” “liberal” publication would actually “hate” the “new atheists.”  How droll.
Have a blessed Easter, whatever your orientation.

        Ed