[KB] Evolutionary Confirmation and "Deacon"-struction

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Thu Apr 2 13:02:26 EDT 2015

Burkophiles,

	A few concluding reflections on Deacon, his semiotic and evolutionary theories, and my take on one or two aspects of it all:

	In highlighting these continuities, as I see them, between Burke’s dramatism and Deacon’s research and publications, I function basically as a conduit, not a critic.  Deacon is a biological anthropologist and lab neuroscientist.  I’m not conversant with those disciplines.  I can only point to, and expand a bit on, the points of correlation and support I see in Deacon’s work.  The fact that Deacon has become an international star in his fields, however, lecturing across the U.S. and in prestigious foreign venues, along with the fulsome praise his books have received (eighteen encomiums cited in the paperback printing of Incomplete Nature), gives strong intersubjective witness to the value of Deacon’s claims.  One reviewer compared the anthropologist even with Darwin and Einstein.

	I will reference here, on behalf of full truth in advertising, one resounding demurrer: Colin McGinn in The New York Review called Incomple Nature the worst-written book he had ever read, one that completely spoiled his summer vacation.  It’s style, McGinn asserted, is heavy with jargon, neologisms, and tortured prose, its content unoriginal and “incomplete,” the case it makes unconvincing, compared with similar treatments McGinn goes on to name (“Can Anything Emerge from Nothing,” NYR, June 7, 2012).  McGinn has a point on Deacon’s style in this particular offering: Unlike the many articles of Deacon’s I’ve been mining for Burkean look-alikes, Incomplete Nature is a tough slog, even with its helpful Glossary.

	One question that vexes this Burkean on those middle steps between “spontaneous,” entropy-driven mechanism, the “homeodynamics” of the nonliving universe---i.e., those middle steps the “morphodynamics” of self-organizing, not-yet-living systems that eventually generate the “teleonomy” (not yet “teleology”) of nonsymbolic living beings, even those, apparently, on the cellular level---how do we characterize the nature of those presymbolic living results, those seemingly yet unsentient, surely undramatic, trial-and-error activities in response to a “negative” sensibility of some kind that does not “moralize”?  As I indicated, pentadic/hexadic language, along with hints of the terms for order, seep downward in Deacon into realms Burkeans might find uncomfortable.  Yet, the case both Deacon and Bateson make for something revolutionary, something dislocative, happening with the emergence of living beings generally, not just with
 the evolution of the “symbolic species,” is compelling.

	I have no answer at this point.

	Anyway, McGinn had trouble with the “nothing,” the “absential feature,” that apparently serves as source of “causation,” even on the level of very simple life forms, in Deacon’s scheme of things.  Deacon’s central idea, as McGinn sees it, is that “absential phenomena” are not “materially present.”  Thus, “Nature has an inherently ‘incomplete’ or ‘absential’ character.”  But, “He [Deacon] does not offer any rigorous treatment of the ontological standing of such putative ‘absences,’ puzzling as they are.”

	McGinn is correct about the “absential” in Deacon in respect to any precise characterization.  Analogously, it serves kind of like “dark energy” for astrophysicists.  We can “see” its effect, but we can’t quite limn its contours.  That seems the case for Deacon’s “absential,” as well.

	Of course, positivists, scientists, and empiricist have said much the same thing about the linguistic negative, quite tangibly present in human languages.  They’ve tied themselves in knots attempting to explain it away.  I’ve dealt with these unconvincing ploys in my article on Burke and the negative, and in Chapter 4 of the Primer.

	Still and all, Burkeans would likely have questions about the prelinguistic “negative” that Deacon does not fully answer.

	One more thing here: Unlike Gould and Lewontin, et al., Deacon does not seem to be saying that, at bottom, religion and music are “nonadaptive,”  That’s certainly not his attitude with respect to music, for sure.  It prompts emotional meanings that do soothe the savage breast.  Actually, I don’t think we need to go beyond the title, not the content but merely the title, of Viktor Frankl’s book, Man’s [sic] Search for Meaning, to account for the presence of both religion and music in the life of the symbol-user.  No arcane philosophy or scientific probings are required, given what we plainly experience to be the case for our vulnerable, evanescent, yet so painfully cognizant species.

	One more thing yet for the three of four subscribers who are actually reading my stuff, then I’ll stop cluttering your inbox.

	Ed