[KB] Burke, Deacon, and Theology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 6 21:19:15 EST 2015

Edward C Appel : ". . .I could quote Scripture here, a passage in Romans and one in Hebrews on how the visible things of this world adumbrate a reality that is beyond.  I'll let Deacon expand on the matter in his own way in a subsequent post.

Relations, in contrast to the things related, must be thought rather than observed. (Quoted or paraphrased from memory: Marx, Grudrisse.) The Scripture cited is quite compatible with a materialist view. When you hold an object in your hand, you can _see_ the object; you can _see_ the hand: you think the relationship between them, which is as beyond sense as any heavenly reality.

Carrol