[KB] Burke, Deacon, and Theology

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Fri Mar 6 19:57:42 EST 2015

Clarke,

Thanks for your extended and insightful reply to my post.  Hey, thanks for even reading my long rant!  You certainly make some good points, though I would interpret the "potentiality" claim in RM as making our emergence out of a "wordless" Ground as maybe "more complicated" than that.  Following Burke, I could quote Scripture here, a passage in Romans and one in Hebrews on how the visible things of this world adumbrate a reality that is beyond.  I'll let Deacon expand on the matter in his own way in a subsequent post.

(Not that Deacon is necessarily a theist.  The religious sensibility that comes so "naturally" to the "symbolic species" is, for Deacon, just that: inevitable, yes, but natural.  "Teleology" is real, one of the last frames in his second Ginn Lecture proclaims, but to transcendentalize it is "redundant, Deacon avers.  An unsatisfactory denouement for the "symbol-users" or the "symbolic species," i.e., coming at the matter from either Burke's perspective, or Deacon's.  That's why 86 percent of Americans believe in God, or some such figure, as Deacon and Cashman note at the beginning of their journal article.)

By way of illustration, I offered in one of my posts to Deacon the characters in Samuel Becket's black comedy, "Waiting for Godot."  At the end of the play, they are still waiting, and the implications are that Godot is not going to show up, yet these forlorn wretches will continue to wait . . and wait . . . and wait . . . and never stop waiting.

On the symbol-user's tendency to "see" drama in, or superimpose drama on, the supposedly blind motions of the universe---Deacon has a powerful explanation for that, which I'll get to eventually.

Thanks again for replying---and rebutting!

Ed