[KB] Burke, Deacon, and Theology

Clarke Rountree rountrj at uah.edu
Fri Mar 6 12:23:37 EST 2015

Dear Burkelers--

My good friend Ed obviously has a passion for seeing Burke as a theologian
(coy or otherwise), despite Burke’s insistence that he isn’t a believer in
God. Of course one can get around the problem of Burke not actually
believing in God through the Spinozan strategy of making God equal to
Nature, so that the GROUND of things itself is equivalent to God. And,
notably, if verbalizing is somehow contained in or implicit in that GROUND,
then, Ed reasons, that is an acknowledgment of at least a God principle at
work. Even an old atheist like me will admit that we humans, surprisingly,
arose from a wordless world, that *post facto *we know carried the
potentiality for creating wordy creature. Note, also, that Burke insists
that when humans are gone it will go back to its wordlessness. (I’m
speaking of Earth only, of course; I think it perfectly obvious that there
is sentient life elsewhere in the universe.)

Last year my son John and I published our essay from the Burke conference
in Belgium where we argued about the potentialities and dangers of the
motivational bias of humans. (We called it a symbol-users guide. I don't
have the citation handy, but I can get it if anyone's interested.) That is,
building on my “Dramatism as Literal” essay in KBJ (2010), we noted that it
is intrinsic to humans to see the world through the grammar of motives, and
that this grammar becomes a problematic terministic screen. (It also is a
wonderful thing, of course, as it makes us recognizably human—my point in
the 2010 essay.) After mulling over that issue, I have a new appreciation
for Burke’s suggestion that toddlers may learn the idea of “No” before they
learn the idea of “nothing.” The implication is that “scientific” or
“objective” understandings of the world are an add-on—something secondary
we have to learn, while the search for motives is primary.

Now, early humans learned to search for motives in prey and in animals that
preyed on them. Scientists may tell us now that animals don’t have the
capacity for the kind of actions we may attribute to them, but thinking
that way may have been beneficial in making us wary of what animals are
doing when they run or attack. Of course, walking around with a “pentadic”
set of glasses on the world undoubtedly gives rise to animism and, later,
more complex forms of religion, with gods in the river, the sea, the sky,
etc.

(Let me add quickly as well, that the dramatistic screen did not handicap
humans in developing technology and improving their lot; it’s just that
every agency was connected to a human purpose, every scene implicitly asked
“what can be done [for humans] with this?” Indeed, that's one of the
warning John and I make--that we have trouble seeing anything except as it
relates to us.)

When scientists look at the world as objects, they blind themselves to this
primary way of thinking (though, as Burke says, not so much that they don’t
know to treat their fellow chemists differently than the chemicals with
which they work). When people want to look at more than things,
investigating the human and the social, wearing these blinders threaten to
make them miss the FUNCTIONS of pentadic screens in human interactions.

Now Burke, looking at religion, would be missing much if he were so
blinded; but of course he is not. He not only accounts for the key term
ACTION in human relations (while excoriating those who focus on MOTION),
but he investigates the potentialities of symbolic action. That this leads
him to find a particularly potent (and “perfected”) symbolic form in
religion is unsurprising—religion is one of the oldest, most scrutinized,
most pervasive, most defended, most argued over, and (thus) most perfected
symbolic systems we have.

Ultimately, I believe that the perfectedness of religion as a symbol system
has nothing to do with its intrinsic truth (except as, perhaps, an "end of
the line" human truth, an implication of our terminology). It does have
much to do with its relation to power, making it a key bone of contention
for those who would rise to prominence in social systems. And Burke’s focus
on religion has more to do with the fact that, given its intense scrutiny
by some of the brightest minds for millennia (at least since Augustine) it
is the most thoroughgoing symbolic system around. However, as I noted in a *QJS
*article on the construction of George H.W. Bush in the 1992 presidential
elections (1995), there are other well developed symbol systems that have
pushed the envelope of what is “thinkable” through our dramatistic
grammar—my key example, criminal law, where hundreds of years of
Anglo-American law (and earlier law as well) helped to refine the
possibilities for guilt and innocence. Had Burke spent more time talking to
law folks, maybe he would have landed on criminal law as a perfection of
symbol systems (though, note, he does spend a lot of time with
constitutions!). That wouldn’t make him a lawyer; and finding perfection in
religion doesn’t make him a theologian. Just an admirer of what has been
wrought.

That’s my oar in the water.

(On a side note, I’m a great fan of Ed’s explication of Deacon’s work and
its implications for understanding Burke’s work. I look forward to the next
installment.)

Cheers,

Clarke

--
Dr. Clarke Rountree
Chair and Professor of Communication Arts
clarke.rountree at uah.edu