[KB] "Deacon"-structing Burke Part Whatever

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Thu Nov 13 20:44:42 EST 2014

Greg,

First, it's not just the "faithful" who are interested in "archeological digs" as sources of scientific support.  One of my books authored by John Dominic Crossan is on what those archeological digs tell us about the life of Jesus.  Crossan is anything but one of the "faithful."

Second, on "space and time," or the more orthodox "space-time," I follow Freud in my article on Burke and the negative, reproduced in Chapter 4 of the primer.  "Time," as I see it, is a human construct, as Norman O. Brown, a disciple of Freud's of a sort, vouchsafes in Life Against Death: The Psychoanalytical Meaning of History (1959).  I give the thought of Freud and Brown on the matter a dramatistic twist.  At accelerations approaching the speed of light, then, what slows down is process.  The notion of "time" results for us word-people by way of our deep-seated and inevitable immersion in the sin-guilt-sacrifice-redemption sequence of dramatic stages, as they play out, unfold, via many different alternative terminologies in various venues of life.

I know it takes gall and guts to "correct" Einstein, but perhaps, unlike Garrison Keilor, I don't need the "powdermilk biscuits" that give "shy people" the prompt to "get up and do the things that need to be done."

Ed