[KB] "Deacon"-structing Burke Part Whatever

wessr at onid.orst.edu wessr at onid.orst.edu
Fri Nov 14 20:11:22 EST 2014

Greg, a book on Burke and golf? Tell me more.

I know of one Burke reference to golf: GM 335. Maybe there are others.
Burke is talking about the difficulty in American culture of grounding
values in the here and now, as distinct from the futuristic. In our
culture, the here and now is merely a vacation, time out from the
reality of working for the future. In this context, Burke suggests
that grounding basic values in the "vacational act would be too much
like playing golf pro bono publico."

Burke may have picked golf for purposes of rhetorical amplification:
no sport is more individualistic, less connected to the communal.
Arguably, primal golf is just you against the course, with the weather
sometimes helping, sometimes hurting--a la Robinson Crusoe (remember
he could get his clubs off the sunken ship).

In any case, for my own good, if not the public's, I know that if I
ever run into you on a golf course, I need to ask for a lot of shots.
As a golfer, I peaked when I was 17 (my last year of eligibility in
junior golf). Ever since, there have been peaks and valleys but
overall it has been a "bear market" downward trend. This year I
started with a 10.5 handicap, had aspirations to get to single digits,
fiddled with my swing, and fell into a crash equivalent to the 2008
crash, slipped all the way to 15.3. The worst year in memory. A year
is really bad when your best rounds are in January and February. My
main problem is that the older I get, the more distance I lose. Every
time you lose 10 yards, the game gets harder and seems to change.

As for the "Dark Ages," I think the boundaries have been revised from
time to time, but your high school teacher went over the edge it seems
to me in using the term to include centuries that produced the likes
of Chaucer, Aquinas, and Dante.

More shortly,

Bob