[KB] "Deacon"-structing Burke Part Whatever

Gregory Desilet info at gregorydesilet.com
Mon Nov 10 20:43:31 EST 2014

Thanks for your comments, Ed. You’re a brave man to raise the topic of Burke and Postmodernism—that’s a thorny issue given the many facets to Burke (will the “real” Burke please stand up?) and the confusions surrounding Postmodernism. So you’ll understand if I don’t go there, but I do find the position you express quite reasonable.

As for science influencing the entire interpretation process towards texts—yes. But experimental testing as an approach to interpretation? Not sure how that would work. Which reminds me of an interesting distinction—not sure if I’ve mentioned it before in some other thread. The physical universe may be full of causal links but the textual universe is only comprised of interpretive (associative) links. And, given the weirdness of quantum theory, we may begin to wonder what a “causal link” might be. Could it share some properties with interpretation? Ugh, I’ll understand if you don’t go there.

Greg