[KB] "Deacon"-structing Burke Part Whatever

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Tue Nov 11 11:35:05 EST 2014

Greg and Carrol,

Greg, on Burke as something of a Postmodernist, Tim Crusius stands pretty much at that pole of Burkean interpretation.  Tim seems to have given especial weight to P&C.  Trevor Melia, and John Stewart and Karen Williams, have come down on the side of Burke as very much un-Postmodern, Stewart and Williams even calling Burke a "Cartesian representationslist."  A panel at Airlie House in 1993 debated the question.  Jim Chesebro and somebody else said Burke wasn't Postmodern enough.  Andrew King and David Cratis Williams said the opposite, as I recall.  Of course, for Jim, Burke's falling short of Postmodernism was a huge failing of his; for Melia, it was a blessing.

Melia put great weight on "recalcitrance," of course, but also on what Burke says on p. 272 in RR: "For however the world is made, that's how language is made."

More later in reply to your post, and Carrol's.  Suddenly have to get to something else.

Ed