[KB] "Deacon"-structing Burke Part Whatever

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Mon Nov 10 14:37:15 EST 2014

Just a short reply to Greg's most recent post:

One, I wasn't in the least "bored" or "alienated" reading it.

Two, criticism of Burke, or a creative reinterpretation of his work, is vouchsafed as appropriate for the Burke Society in general, and surely for this listserve in particular, not just a slavish adherence to either the "early" Burke or the "later" Burke.

Third, I tend to view the concerns of the "later" Burke (as per "logology") to be inplicit in the concerns of the "earlier" Burke (e.g., "dramatism"), more so than quite a few of Burke's most esteemed interpreters.  But I, too, detect, along with Greg, a more "postmodern" Burke in P&C than in, say, the piece in the Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences and some even later statements.  As for which of those two apparently disparate approaches to language I prefer, I think we need to blend them in some sense: Burke as "quasi-Postmodern" in a way, emphasizing both the distortions of, and the dramatizing superimpsitions placed on, the "reality" that language symbolically "acts" upon, and the "recalcitrance" that fitfully, perhaps eventually, brings those superimpositions into some kind of useful, "serviceable," "adequate," "curative" line.

Fourth, I do think that in "post-Enlightenment" Western culture, science does come pretty heavily to bear on our "interpretation" of texts, not just on our "interpretation" of "reality," which, Burke-wise as well as Kant-wise, does not seem directly accessible to us.

A "blessing" on all who have ventured into the parlor for this vigorous chat.

Ed