[KB] Sad News

Clarke Rountree rountrj at uah.edu
Fri Jan 31 15:22:29 EST 2020

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Ed Appel's passing. I was emailing
with him last week about joining a panel at the upcoming Triennial. We had
a terrific back and forth, including having him send me a completed paper
for possible presentation. He was active, as always, to the end. But,
ultimately, he declined to join the panel because he was worried about his
health.

Ed was extraordinarily helpful as a reviewer when I co-edited KBJ. I once
sent him a manuscript that a reviewer had neglected to respond to and he
returned it overnight! He also read my 500-page book draft (using the
pentad to analyze Bush v. Gore). He was a gadfly--always asking pesky and
important questions about any subject. I like to think he was something of
a surrogate KB after our eponymous founder died.

The conference will be decidedly different without Ed's presence.

Clarke