[KB] Fwd: CFP for Burke Pedagogy volume

Mark Huglen PhD mhuglen at umn.edu
Tue May 14 09:49:42 EDT 2019

Hello, all,

In regard to the newly proposed book on Burke Pedagogy – Teaching Burke:
Are we thinking Burke in courses such as Interpersonal Communication and in
Human Relationships and Leadership; in Rhetorical Criticism, Burke’s
Linguistic Approach to Problems of Education, and Online Education; or in
the course Political Communication?

Whether for thought here or whether this material finds itself in some way
in Ann George and M. Elizabeth Weiser’s newly proposed book on Burke
Pedagogy – Teaching Burke; or other books, articles, scholarship, courses,
or uses remains to be seen. But I humbly and respectfully offer my
thoughts. I also want to mention at the onset here that I realize this post
is longer than the norm; so if you do not have time to read, my first
paragraph functions as a topical summary of this post.

A short while back Jack Selzer somewhat apologetically cast his KB
discussion post as “self promotion” when mentioning that he received his
copy of KB’s _The War on Words_ from the University of California Press. I
found that post and link interesting and helpful to scholarship, so
reposting here:
https://theconversation.com/how-the-media-encourages-and-sustains-political-warfare-100941

Similarly, Ed Appel recently cast his KB discussion contribution as
“shamelessly self-indulgent” when mentioning his book _ Language, Life,
Literature, Rhetoric and Composition as Dramatic Action: A Burkean Primer_.
This post, too, I feel is interesting and helpful to scholarship.

And so it is in this light that I too forage into the rest of my post…
mentioning some of my own scholarly work (again, in hopefully a humble and
respectful way) to provide something that is potentially helpful to the
advancement of scholarship.

*Burke Pedagogy in Interpersonal Communication*

I admit that what lured me into writing this post is Ed’s mention of
teaching Interpersonal Communication in conjunction with Burke’s Victimage
pattern/Terms for Order. As we know, the Terms for Order are as follows:
order, pollution, guilt, purification-redemption strategies (scapegoating =
external blame, mortification = internal blame, and transcendence =
sidestepping or moving beyond), and back to order.

In a course similar to Interpersonal Communication, my course Human
Relationships and Leadership is informed by Burke’s teachings and
particularly the Terms for Order. Here is one of the books for the course:

Huglen, Mark E., and Basil B. Clark. Poetic Healing: A Vietnam Veteran’s
Journey from a Communication Perspective, revised and expanded edition.
West Lafayette, IN: Parlor Press, 2005

In this book and class, I integrate the Terms for Order a minimum of three
ways: 1) the unstated yet underlying pattern for the entire book is the
Terms for Order, which includes a flexible layout of chapters following
that pattern (by way of reading the students feel/experience that pattern);
2) an explicit discussion of the Terms for Order (by way of study the
students interpret and understand that pattern – some of the explanation is
through a discussion of suicide by way of Marc Etkind’s collection of
suicide notes, Jeane Y. Fisher’s analysis of a multiple murder suicide, and
Beth A. Messner and Jacqueline A. Buckrop’s insights into suicide and the
need to restore order); and 3) in my Chapter 6 Conclusion as well as the
Afterword written by Bernard L. Brock, the Terms for Order are
applied/appropriated with the circumstances of the Vietnam Veteran -- the
vet is the coauthor of the book, Basil Clark. Importantly, the book is
filled with poems, short stories, and a play written by the veteran, and
interpreted/critiqued by me through a communication (and Burke) lens. The
students are introduced to theory, the application/appropriation of theory
to the circumstances of the veteran, and then apply/appropriate that
insight into their own contemporary circumstances.

There is much more that I will not discuss here. But here is a partial list
of Burke concepts used in the book and in the course: dialectic, realms for
words, what equals what and what does not equal what, orientations, pious
and impious acts, pentad, perspective by incongruity, and trained
incapacity. Other concepts include the war, game, and garden orientations;
hidden handicaps; anti-relational and relational communication; as well as
sounding out hollow idols when the veteran tries to find the meaning of it
all – Friedrich Nietzsche; World Hypotheses and Root Metaphors that
function to propel thought – Steven Pepper; and Symbolic Killings in the
interpersonal communication terrain – Burke.

In contrast to the fall-redemption nature of the Terms for Order, we also
discuss the blessing/growth concept introduced by Bernard L. Brock. I would
like to remind you that James W. Chesebro summarized the contrast between
fall-redemption and blessing growth in the KB Journal article “Remembering
Bernard L. Brock” several years ago now. https://kbjournal.org/chesebro

A signature assignment for the students in this Burke-oriented Human
Relationships class is to create a Dictionary of Terms (minimum of 150
Communication/Burke concepts and definitions).

Here is more about Burke Pedagogy in Interpersonal Communication, but with
less description:

Huglen, Mark E., editor. Interpersonal Communication in Multiple Contexts:
Representative Anecdotes. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt. 2018

This book is different from all other Interpersonal Communication texts
because of the following: a) it is cast within the framework of Burke’s
“representative anecdotes” -- there is a discussion of representative
anecdotes in the introduction, and each chapter is cast as a representative
anecdote, but that is where Burke is left – in the introduction; b) it is
multidisciplinary, including topic areas such as criminal justice,
student-parent teacher interactions, college athletics recruitment,
information technology, race relations, healthcare, public relations,
fundraising, and others; and c) the authors of the chapters are
multidisciplinary as well so are not experts in the area of communication
much less Burke studies. The authors bring their own academic backgrounds
into the chapters to produce insights. There are fourteen chapters,
including the chapter “What’s in Your Script: Getting Beyond Race to Deal
with Race” by Alvin Killough and Erin Killough and the chapter
“Interpersonal Conversations: Dialogic Teaching in a World Literature
Classroom” by Rachel McCoppin.

*Burke Pedagogy in Rhetorical Criticism*

Johannesen, Danielle, and Mark Huglen, eds. Iconic Sports Venues:
Persuasion in Public Spaces. New York, NY: Peter Lang. 2017

Included in this book are the following chapters that use Burke in some
way: “Constructing a Mecca for American Golf: Southern Gentility and the
Sacred at Augusta National” by Clarke Rountree; the chapter “With Our
Hearts in La Boca: Violence and Identification in La Bombonera” by M.
Elizabeth Weiser; “The Louisiana Superdome and the Semiotics of Disaster”
by Michael William Phau; as well as my chapter “Ralph Engelstad Arena.”
Other venues included in the book are as follows: Stadium of Olympia and
Collosseum of Rome, Wrigley Field, Mitchell’s Corn Palace, Hinkle Field
House and the Hoosiers, Lambeau Field, Huron Arena, Madison Square Garden,
the Wrestling Ring, and the Man/Fan Cave.

*Burke’s “Linguistic Approach to Problems of Education”*

Regarding Burke’s Linguistic Approach and four rungs of learning, Rachel
McCoppin and I established a fifth rung back in 2006: active revision. Here
is how we have expanded that fifth rung throughout the years:

McCoppin, Rachel, and Mark E. Huglen. “Being Actively Revised by the Other:
Opposition and Incorporation.” Teaching Ideas for the Basic Communication
Course, Vol. 10. Ed. Barbara Hugenberg and Lawrence Hugenberg. Dubuque, IA:
Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company for the National Communication Association,
2006

This is about Burke’s Linguistic Approach, our rung #5, and the basic
communication course – Public Speaking.

Huglen, Mark E., and Rachel McCoppin. “Extending Kenneth Burke and
Multicultural Education: Being Actively Revised by the Other.” Humanistic
Critique of Education. Ed. Peter M. Smudde. Lafayette, IN: Parlor Press,
2010.

This is about Burke’s Linguistic Approach, our rung #5, and multicultural
education.

Huglen, Mark E. “Degrees of Emphasis and Influence in Listening and Human
Relations.” The International Journal of Listening, 24: 174-176, 2010

This is about Burke’s Linguistic Approach, our rung #5, and listening. As
you know, sections on listening are part of many different courses in
communication, including Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communication,
Human Relationships and Leadership, and others.

*Burke Pedagogy in Online Education*

Huglen, Mark E. “An Image of Online Education as “Poetic Humanism.”
Kentucky Journal of Communication (2004): 43-54

Conditions of appeal and the poetic individuation of form 2 + 2 = ___. I
use this approach as an organizing orientation for my online teaching. I
use the individuation of form from _Counter Statement_, Burke’s discussion
of the poetic in _Permanence and Change_, along with a host of other
scholars such as Brock's _Kenneth Burke and the 21st Century_, Berger and
Luckman’s _The Social Construction of Reality_, Giroux’s _Border Crossings:
Cultural Workers and the Politics of Education_, Plato, Watzlawick’s
_Invented Reality_, and others.

*Burke Pedagogy in Political Communication*

Brock, Bernard L., and Mark E. Huglen, James F. Klumpp, and Sharon Howell.
Making Sense of Political Ideology: The Power of Language in Democracy.
Boulder, CO: Rowman & Littlefield, 2005

I use this book in my Political Communication course, which I have taught
for many years now. The entire orientation of the book and course follows
in the spirit of Burke’s orientation toward scholarship; and, of the five
layers/dimensions or so of our theory of political ideology, of which I
feel that three are distinctly Burke oriented: pentad in relation to
political positions, attitudes toward change in relation to political
positions, and moments of catharsis in relation to political positions
(other layers are orientations toward the world in relation to political
positions and root metaphors in relation to political positions). Today, I
mainly use the theory of political ideology, with the details of political
happenings written in the book used as historical examples. After learning
this material, the students apply/appropriate the theory of political
ideology into their own contemporary situations, which could be politics in
society and/or politics in organizational/professional settings.

As many of you know (and reminded by the KB Journal article “Remembering
Bernard L. Brock by Chesebro), Brock taught a political communication
course for many years, but never published those ideas until three students
encouraged him to do so in the latter part of his life. So not long before
what turned out to be his passing (we weren’t expecting a soon-to-be
passing), former students along with Brock – James F. Klumpp (professor and
longtime teacher of political communication himself), Sharon Howell
(professor and longtime chair at Oakland University), and myself – took up
the task to publish not only Brock’s ideas, but also our own pertaining to
political communication…

In ensuing yet waning days, Brock proudly held the book _Making Sense of
Political Ideology_ in his hands, in his hospital bed before passing…

But those initial insights by way of Burke and Burke Pedagogy from Brock in
that course Political Communication and more from the coauthors live on in
the book and in the minds and lives of students and teachers of the course
Political Communication.

Mark