[KB] Your papers

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Mon Nov 12 21:52:11 EST 2018

Bob,

I don't remember Burke's interrupting Nelson. If he did so, Burke surely did not launch into a screed against what Nelson was saying. Could that have happened in one of the seminars?

For sure, Burke did verbally attack Bennett. I got intersubjective support for that recollection from David Cratis Williams at last year's Triennial. I brought up that example of "feisty Burke" at our plenary "Memories of Burke" meeting. David gave us the "back story" on the matter. Burke was asked his opinion of the papers submitted, this even before the convention began, I believe. Burke said he liked them all except one. Who submitted that one, Burke was asked. "Lance, Lance, Lance," was Burke's reply

I remember Bennett looking down at his ms. in obvious embarrassment, as Burke railed on, then, after Burke had got it all our of his spleen, continuing on without a word in response to Burke.

We remember the unexpected, the unusual, the harrowingly out-of-the-ordinary,Chip and Dan Heath of Stanford said in their book, Make It Stick. Professor Blasy Ford explained it well in her Senate testimony. There's a rush of norepinephrine and another neurochemical whose name escapes me into the hippocampus in such moments. We don';t forget them.

I don't remember who spoke before, or spoke after, Lance Bennett.

Ed    . .