[KB] Causes of Action

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Wed Oct 10 00:33:32 EDT 2018

Clarke,

Commentary on these seven causes of action appears on pp. 218-34 in E.
M. Cope, An Introduction to Aristotle's Rhetoric, London: Macmillan,
1867. This commentary includes references to other works by Aristotle,
so that it provides substantial material on which to draw in
developing an interpretation of the passage.

For Aristotle, nature is an internal principle of change (1369b1), by
contrast to the external principle of change involved in something
like building a house (wood would not become a house by itself). Maybe
this internal principle could be conceived as encompassing Burkean
"thinking of the body." Not sure.

Bob