[KB] Causes of Action

Clarke Rountree rountrj at uah.edu
Tue Oct 9 13:36:45 EDT 2018

Dear Burkelers:

I have a question concerning Aristotelian action (about which I have no
recollection whether Burke commented upon it). In the Rhetoric, Aristotle
(1369) claims that all actions are due to one of seven causes: chance,
nature, compulsion, habit, reasoning, anger, or appetite. (Surely Burke
mentions this somewhere!) I'm trying to figure out what he means by
"nature." Someone online suggests things like thirst are nature, but that
could be appetite, perhaps. On the other hand, appetite seems aimed at
seeking pleasure, which slaking thirst would do only in a minimal kind of
way.

Anyone have insight into what Aristotle means here?

Cheers,

Clarke

--
Dr. Clarke Rountree