[KB] Rhetorical simplicity v. complexity

Clarke Rountree rountrj at uah.edu
Wed Jun 13 17:24:01 EDT 2018

Dear Burkelers:

I'm working on a book chapter and I've returned to an idea that Burke, and
perhaps others, have addressed. Burke says in his analysis of Mein Kampf
that Hitler states that it is important for the Nazi's rhetorical
effectiveness to simplify scapegoating by targeting a single victim (in his
case, the International Jew). I'm dealing with a rhetorical text now that
does the opposite: one of those rare political speeches that admits a lot
of "grays" and of balancing one concern against another. It doesn't deal
with scapegoating per se, though the "simplifying principle" perhaps
applies?

Does Burke or anyone else talk in general terms (or useful illustrations)
about the trade-offs in rhetorical effectiveness of simplifying versus
complexifying?

I had thought that Bill Lewis had said something about that in his Reagan's
narrative piece in QJS. And maybe others have as well.

Cheers,

Clarke

--
Dr. Clarke Rountree