[KB] Charlottesville and Burke

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Wed Aug 16 11:36:29 EDT 2017

Burkophiles,
Which of these passages from Burke best guide our response to what has occurred in Charlottesville, and what has been said about it?
"The progress of human enlightenment . . . . When you add that people are NECESSARILY mistaken,, . . . that EVERY insight contains its own special kind of blindness, . . . ." ATH 41.
Ann George glossed this statement in her keynote: "Because every perspective is partial, all perspectives necessarily encounter recalcitrance."
Or,
". . . A philosophy of being may commit one to open conflict with any person or class of persons who would use their power to uphold institutions serving an anti-social function." P&C 272.
Or
"In selecting his [Hitler's] brand of doctrine as our 'scapegoat,' and tracking down its equivalents in America, we shall be at the very center of accuracy,."

Ed