[KB] Conversation Editing Redux 2

Phillip Tompkins tompkinp at Colorado.EDU
Sun Jan 29 19:15:44 EST 2017

Burkophiles,

     I think I have found a coincidence that you will find amusing and
perhaps instructive.  We have been immersed in conversation about Drama's
"problems."  Quite by accident while checking out a question about
Shakespeare,  I saw a reference to the "problem-plays" of our greatest
dramatist.  I have to admit that I then Googled the topic to find out that
the expression is attributed to "critic F.S. Boas in Shakespeare and his
Predecessors (1896), deriving from a type of drama that was popular at the
time of Boas' writing."

     "In these problem plays the situation faced by the protagonist is put
forward by the author as a representative of a contemporary social problem."
It does seem clear to me that most dramas are built around personal problems
that the protagonist must face.  When that problem is also social in nature
our agents are caught up in scenes with different, far more complicated
ramifications.

     I recall that KB himself took pride in having talked or written in the
1930's about a little fellow in science called "ecology," making the
prediction it would become more important in the future.  It is now a social
problem made even more salient, among others, by our new Problem.

Reporting from Denver,

Phil