[KB] Conversation Editing Redux 3

Leslie Bruder bruderian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 03:36:53 EST 2017

When Burke talks about a grammar concerned with the basic forms of thought
exemplified in the attribution of motives I have to believe he is not only
referring to verbal forms of thought, but also to any and all forms of
expression. Burke is a word-man so the pentad is primarily verbal, but so
much of his thinking deals with form, with images, with figures of thought
and action that it is no stretch at all to view the pentad as a ritualistic
device that aides in the conversion of the literal into the figurative, the
figurative into the imagistic, the imagistic into the sonic, the concrete,
etc. The figure of the wheel is implied in the call to round out our
statements of motives, and whether it is a wheel of cheese, a pie, a cake
or the somewhat more spherical roast beast, all may be carved up in
numerous ways, some better than others.  Does a wheel have an optimum
number of spokes, five, six (with attitude), seven (with Trouble), no
spokes like a wheel in the sky, or an infinite number of spokes like a
solid disk or a starburst?  All we can do is try them all and see for
ourselves.  To test a theory we no doubt need to perform a few experiments
or simulations.  The trajectory from grammar, logic, rhetoric to drama or
symbolic action likewise points rather drastically beyond the written
toward the oral tradition of storytelling and enactment.

I have been challenged lately with sorting the Jungian archetypal criticism
from the Judeo-Christian Science buried in Burke’s thought and with an
exploration of ritual drama in Native North American Indian mythology and
spiritual traditions.  Along the way I came across Ananda K.
Coomaraswamy’s *Figures
of Speech or Figures of Thought* (1946):

“The most immediately significant point…is that of the artist’s priestly or
ministerial function.  The original intention of intelligible forms was not
to entertain us, but literally to re-mind us; the chant is not for the
approval of the ear, or the picture for that of the eye (although these
senses can be taught to approve the splendor of truth, and can be trusted
when they have been trained), but to effect such a transformation of our
being as is the purpose of all ritual acts.  It is, in fact, the ritual
arts that are the most ‘artistic,’ because the most ‘correct,’ as they must
be if they are to be effectual.” (28).

As I read these words they appear to corroborate Burke’s contribution to
rhetoric, specifically his ideas about identification.  The ritualistic and
performative nature of identification seems to complement Plato’s and
Aristotle’s definition of rhetoric as “the art of giving effectiveness to
truth.”  Just as “killing” is seen in the Rhetoric of Motives as symbolic
of transformation, I thought Jerome S. Bruner’s notion of “trouble” might
be pointing in the same direction.  Phillip Tompkins suggested “trouble”
might be located within the agent.  I previously speculated that until
desire encounters an obstacle there is no conflict or “trouble” or drama.

Let me dip briefly into the popular fiction of one of America’s favorite
storytellers and then I’ll hit the sack.  “It was battle that paid off,
battle was the beginning and the end of a soldier’s life.  The Apache, the
greatest guerrilla fighter the world ever knew, had never heard of
close-order drill or any kind of training except in fighting and
surviving.”  (L’Amour *Shalako*).  If killing can symbolize transformation
then certainly struggle, conflict, the fight is quite literally the process
of transformation.   This is not exactly a profound statement, but the
fight for the survival of a way of life, even if lost, may have only driven
it temporarily underground, especially if it is effective and uniquely
adjusted to nature.  As Martin E. Marty summarizes in the forward to Ake
Hultkrantz’s *Shamanic Healing and Ritual Drama*, “...health, medicine and
religion taken together made up a coherent and credible system.  It enabled
Native Americans to live in a relationship to the environment in a way that
did not lead to exploitation or exhaustion of that natural setting.”

Les