[KB] "Trivial Repetition," "Dull, Daily Reenforcement"

wessr at onid.orst.edu wessr at onid.orst.edu
Fri Sep 19 20:06:50 EDT 2014

Ed, thanks. I also like the idea of a narrative. The left needs a good
one. Even though the right has dominated political discourse in the
country for a generation, they seem to have a narrative built around
"big government" as antagonist in which the problem is always failing
to go far enough to the right. It seems to work better than anything
from the left.

BURKE says all questions are leading questions (PLF 67). The point is
to pose questions that shape the agenda. The right seems much better
at this. The key is to be strategic, as in a chess game, make a move
now that pays off later. For decades, the right has made the debt a
focal point. The payoff is coming now, with the argument to cut
entitlements, not because they are bad but because we can't afford them.

The Democrats have drifted to the right by accepting the right's
premises but by trying to proceed to kinder, gentler conclusions. For
example: Clinton's line, "the era of big government is over." By going
along with the right's premises for short-term election gains, the
Democrats have in the long-term become a party that doesn't seem to
have a real political project, at least when compared to the right.
Even when the Democrats are in power (as in recent years), the right
controls what gets talked about. The rhetorical ineptness of the
Democrats is at least partly responsible.

Bob