[KB] "Trivial Repetition," "Dull, Daily Reenforcement"

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Fri Sep 19 15:45:20 EDT 2014

Bob and All,

	Thanks to Professor Soetaert for his follow-up on my post about Terrence Deacon’s “Symbol Concept” and Deacon’s research and thought in general.  As I indicated, I want to get back later with more on Deacon’s relevance to Burke studies.  I’ll forward that post to Professor Deacon.

	Here, I’m responding more directly to Bob Wess’s query about what political points I’d want to see emphasized via “trivial [or maybe not so trivial] repetition and dull, daily reinforcement.”  I’ll keep in mind Chip and Dan Heath’s book, Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die (New York: Random House, 2007), as I go.  The Heath’s recommend that we aim for SUCCESS, that is, a message that’s simple, unexpected, concrete, credible, emotional, and story-containing.  Forget about the extra “S.”

	Here’s the simple mnemonically-memorable (I would hope) summary of salient points I think we need to repeat again and again and again:

	“Corporate control and exploitation for themselves of World trade; Wages, taxes, and debt; Wars of choice; and the Warming of our planet are destroying the American Dream and a liveable future for ‘The People.’”

	The mnemonic repetition of the “W” in “World trade,” “Wages,” “Wars,” and “Warming planet” invests the statement with a sermon-like catchiness that can serve to reinforce, make easy-to-recall, this summary of the dire problems the “bad guys,” the counteragents, the “Corporate Interests,” are foisting on “The People” of USAmerica.  I choose Ralph Nader’s pejorative “Corporate” for the dislogistic pole in the dialectic because it insulates considerably against the counter-charge of “class warfare” that something like the “1 percent” would invite.  We would not be inveighing against the financial incentive per se that capitalist orthodoxy says fuels our economic engine, just its current grossly unfair and unbalanced operations.

	I choose “The People” as the eulogistic pole in this dramatic opposition for the reasons Our Hero argued for it in his 1935 speech to the American Writers Congress (Simons and Melia, The  Legacy of  Kenneth Burke, 1989, pp. 267-273).  In summary, “The People” is inclusive, untied to any given type of employment, and un-class warfareish.

	Now, what about a storyline?  Here’s a shortened version:

	“Once upon a time, in the post-World War II, post-Roosevelt U.S., an American---call him Joe Assembly Line---could graduate from high school, get a factory job, marry, and raise a family on one income.

	“Why not today?  Because so-call “American” corporations have bribed our politicians to fix the system in their favor; sold Joe out to cheap foreign labor; pledged allegiance to the one-world marketplace, with its bloated profits and offshore tax havens; thumbed their nose at shared sacrifice and equal taxation, to the tune of an immense national debt; and said to the planet that’s dying under their greed, ‘Go stick it!’”

	Is that emotional enough?  Can it be made concrete and credible?  Easily available documentation, ad infinitum and searingly specific, awaits.

	The “unexpected”?  Not sure about that.  But there is a sharp turnaround in Joe Assembly Line’s fortunes in this scenario, and it did not take long.  I dare say HE wasn’t expecting it.

	Greg Desilet and I suggested a modification of Burke’s call for “comedy” in symbolic action and human relations (RSQ, 2011, Number 4).  In time of war, or a credible threat of war on our nation, adopt the form of an arpeggio (first, part-chord or discord, then chord, in succession, not simultaneously).  Mobilize with rhetorical tragedy, then shift to rhetorical comedy when conditions appear propitious.  And, following Burke’s prescription in “The Rhetoric of Hitler’s ‘Battle,’” ultimately scapegoat the opponent’s scapegoating itself, not adversaries per se.

	Here, I’m enjoining employment of hard-nosed melodrama at the start, before an ultimate shift back to the Burkean comedy of inclusion.  (No death or banishment for all time in melodrama, only sharp political defeat.)  An awareness of our own complicit part in much of these global, economic, political, and social dislocations is required as background, even if not initially put front and center.  An attitude of charity, though sublimated at first, can at least temper our discursive fury.  As Burke said, we can use any dramatic framing, as long as we internally, at least, “discount for language” and its extravagant incentives.

	That’s my counsel, you nationally significant “leftists”---both of you!

	Have a nice weekend.

,
	Ed

	P.S. Do you think what’s happening now is something of a reprise of 2003, not with the same level of duplicity necessarily, but with corporate interests, focused in Middle Eastern oil, still pulling the strings?

	I ask.