[KB] "Trivial Repetition," "Dull, Daily Reenforcement"

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Thu Sep 18 11:41:35 EDT 2014

Carrol,, Herb, and All,

	Carrol, I may be guilty of underplaying Democratic malfeasance in all this, but I think you are overplaying the matter with the “Democrats are the more effective evil” theme.  Thomas Frank may be near to your view, and substantially correct, if he’s suggesting that Democrats are only “MARGINALLY better” than Republicans.  But I would caution that the Dems are still “marginally BETTER.”

	Take the Iraq war.  (As Henny Youngman might say, PLEASE!)  I have a hard time believing, if the judicial coup of 2000 had not occurred, and he had been awarded the presidency, that Al Gore would have taken us into that disastrous conflict.  The Afghanistan fiasco might have transpired, but Iraq?  Not likely.  (We had to do something in Afghanistan.  The scapegoat motive was just too intense.  I think a Burkean ought to realize that.  Air strikes and covert/commando raids should have been the MO, not all out warfare and nation building.  But, sadly, the requisite temperament for such restraint is not usually inherent in viable, ambitious, presidential aspirants.)

	You’re right to condemn Carter on deregulation and Clinton on NAFTA (and CAFTA), and you could add Clinton’s signing off on the gutting of Roosevelt’s reform of investment banking.  But Clinton and the Dems did raise taxes in 1993 (without one Republican vote), which brought budget surpluses and a temporary halt to our downward slide into horrendous debt.  Can we call that successful effort just another facet of the “more effective evil” of these sly Democrats?

	And remember, too, the historic pressure on Democrats to take on something of the coloration of conservatism, as the 60-or-so-year political pendulum swing began to turn rightward after the upheavals of the 1960s.  Just as Dewey, Eisenhower, and even Nixon weren’t all that conservative by today’s standards (they had to go a bit with the zeitgeist, as well), a turn toward the center was perhaps inevitable for a Democrat to get elected president in the 1990s.  Let’s shift some of the blame to global trends and conditions, while we’re at it.  (Doesn’t that make me a respectable, orthodox postmodernist?)

	As for making Elizabeth Warren part of this “axis of political evil” you reference, give me a break.  Talk about pressure to wink at Israel’s “crimes” in Gaza: It’s far stronger even than not treating Iraq as a wasteful, mendacious misadventure in which our troops died “in vain.”  I don’t think I need to go into all the reasons why.  The word “Holocaust” serves as a good start.

	Let’s pull this discussion back toward Burke before we invoke a reprimand.  I spoke of the power of the scapegoat mechanism that even a Burkean “comedian” can’t totally ignore.  Let me add that my initial post on “trivial repetition” and “dull, daily reinforcement” points in the direction of a rhetorical dilemma I have not yet explored: How can a political leader without a death wish repeat and repeat and repeat again a position on the issues I think need to be highlighted, when those accusations will indict virtually everybody, all the usual suspects having dirty hands to one degree or another?  We may need something along the lines of, “Choosing a Rhetoric of the Enemy: Kenneth Burke’s Comic Frame, Warrantable Outrage, and the Problem of Scapegoating, Part II.”
	Herb’s “Requirements, Problems, and Strategies” quandary comes to mind.

	As tightwad Jack Benny, when confronted with the challenge, “your money or your life,” after a long pause, would say: “I’m thinking, I’m thinking.”

	Ed