[KB] Burke in Chicago

John Duffy John.M.Duffy.27 at nd.edu
Mon Jan 27 17:43:22 EST 2014

These are wonderful anecdotes!

John

From: <Weiser>, Elizabeth <weiser.23 at osu.edu<mailto:weiser.23 at osu.edu>>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2014 4:48 PM
To: David Blakesley <dblakes at clemson.edu<mailto:dblakes at clemson.edu>>, Clarke Rountree <rountrj at uah.edu<mailto:rountrj at uah.edu>>
Cc: "kb at kbjournal.org<mailto:kb at kbjournal.org>" <kb at kbjournal.org<mailto:kb at kbjournal.org>>
Subject: Re: [KB] Burke in Chicago

Hi Clarke. Only because it influenced his '40s writings, let me also just mention that he taught first at Chicago in the summer of '38, and as he wrote to Allen Tate in '42, "I haggled much" with the Chicago Neo-Aristotelians "the summer I taught there. And I worked out my methodology" for PLF (symbolic action) "in part under fire from them."

Liz

Elizabeth Weiser, PhD
Associate Professor, Rhetoric
Co-director, Professional Writing Minor
The Ohio State University
College of Arts and Sciences Department of English
244 Warner Center, 1179 University Drive, Newark, OH 43055
740-366-9175 Office
weiser.23 at osu.edu<mailto:weiser.23 at osu.edu> http://profmeweiser.com