[KB] René Girard and Burke?

David Blakesley david.blakesley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 08:35:31 EDT 2023

Paul:

I was just discussing the *Chronicle* article with some students the other
day. Paul Lynch has an excellent article on Burke and Girard here:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.14321/contagion.24.1.0139

Rescuing Rhetoric: Kenneth Burke, René Girard, and Forms of Conversion
Paul Lynch
*Contagion: Journal of Violence, Mimesis, and Culture*, Vol. 24, No. 1
(Spring 2017), pp. 139-158 (20 pages)

Paul makes the astute point that "where Girard finds the roots of sacrifice
in mimetic desire, Burke finds them in language" (143).

The Chronicle article is here:
https://www.chronicle.com/newsletter/the-review/2023-10-09.

Cheers,
Dave