[KB] Your papers

HERBERT W. Simons hsimons at temple.edu
Mon Nov 12 15:01:28 EST 2018

Ed,
The other person might have been Joseph Gusfield, a prominent sociologist,
who wrote a book on Burke for U Chi Press.Not present at the conferences
were the anthropologists, who'd held their own conferences on Burke, with
metaphors and other tropes featured. Richard Shweder from UCP excelled.
On both sides of the Atlantic a dozen or more other Burke conferences.
Thanks to Donald (now Deirdre)
McCloskey I was invited to speak at several other conferences: on rhetoric
of economics at Wellesley, where Stanley Fish yelled "no consequences"
after my research for that conference compared 3-4 ways by which Mobil
advertorialized it's positions by way of print news, arguments for Mobil's
positions on issues presented as TV News, and a highly creative, very
expensive, and aneffective format,Fables for Now, featuring cartoon animals
and dancers. Most effective were the print ads.

For five days or so U of Iowa held a "Symposium on Rhetoric" featuring such
notables as Kuhn and Rorty, andbroadcasted it. A great many disciplines
were represented, not least mathematics and accounting. Out of the
symposium came Nelson et al's Rhetoric of the Human sciences (UW Press)
Nelson presented the forerunners of the conferences as extensions of the
Greco-Roman sophistic tradition. I was a lowly respondent at that
conference and wrote for QJS "Chronicle and Critique of a conference."Later
my colleagues in English held another conference on
rhetoric. See also my edited collections of "rhetsci" essays.

Other such forums met in the UK; then on the Continent. And there were
conferences on rhetoric by other names such as science studies. I was
fortunate to meet up with the "Rhetoric of Inquiry" scholars on both sides
of the Atlantic.