[KB] Your papers

HERBERT W. Simons hsimons at temple.edu
Mon Nov 12 08:44:58 EST 2018

Dear colleagues,
I'd like to have e-mailed copies of your papers.

 At the Burke "parlor" meeting 10-12 young people as well as Roundtree and
Thames convened to discuss matters Burkean. I played the old man and
regaled them with memories of that first Burke conference: e.g., the
charlatan "doctor" who attached himself to KB at the Williams conference,
moved in with him, and helped him navigate steps. We registered him and
didn't charge him the entry fee, at his request.

It turned out that he was a collector of important people,  as our friend,
Chris Fahy, revealed to me.

KB's daughter, Eleanor Leacock (sp?) was furious at me for entrusting  KB
to this imposter. When asked whether he'd like the pseudo-doc to be moved
from his room, he said yes for the man's sake since he had work to do.

I'd forgotten how many in our field attended that first conference and
participated in it's small group seminars as well as it's plenaries, at
which a recurrent question was about "not vicious but mistaken" and the
issue of warrantable outrage.

Note: I've got a book in production called Rhetoric in Action, which will
be made available at no cost. Several of its essays are on my website,
which can be found by googllng my name. Psychologist Ken Gergen
superintended the project.

Richard Thames recalled that it was held at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel in
Phila but  I recall that it was the Barclay, an older hotel.
In deference to KB with his drinking problem we served grape juice at the
banquet.  Kathleen Jamieson's toast:
"Language may do our thinking for us but it cannot do our drinking for us."
As for the "doc", he spent the night in a bathtub, compliments of the
organizers. On the last night of the conference, when the KB Society was
formed. he approached Harry Chapin's wife with a hug and she reciprocated
diplomatically, not knowing what else to do.

I can't say enough about the young scholars who participated in the NCA
convention's "Burke Parlor." For those concerned about the future of Burke
studies, rest assured, this next generation is highly competent and
motivated.

--
Herbert W. Simons, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Communication