[KB] KBS 2020

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Wed Jun 6 14:50:48 EDT 2018

All,

          Thanksfor the info, Bryan, on the possibilities for the 11the Triennial. Pleased tohear such progress is already in the works. Congrats.

          Goodto hear from Cem again, who did such a great job as on-site coordinator for ourfine conference at East Stroudsburg.

          Bryanrefers to Burke’s relevance in these “stark times.” In his reflections on thefive articles on the rhetoric of the 2015-2016 election, Edward A. Hinck notedthe “contnuing relevance of Kenneth Burke’s work” in reference to my piece onTrump’s anomalous appeals in that campaign (CQ,2018, April-June). Burke’s dramatism/logology will always be relevant to thediscourse and life actions of the symbolic species. Burke’s ideas are so deeplyrooted in the inherent structure of the human psyche and its manifestexpressions, I cannot believe, short of tens of thousands of years of novelcerebral evolution, homo sapiens, homodialecticus, homo loquax 2 will somehow outgrow the drama that infuses andtranscends her and his animal life and being. Whether Burke, like probablyAristotle, will still explicitly make the scene in a thousand years, Burke’sapproach to the philosophy of language will survive. Someone else, or asuccession of interpreters and appropriators, will refashion and recombine thedrama of language, life, literature, and rhetoric Burke has so trenchantlyplumbed.

          I’membarrassed to bring up my contribution in CQ,but here’s the reason: One or two of you may have taken a look at it. I madethe mistake of proofreading the piece only on a computer screen before finalsubmission. Always a bad idea, for me at least. I didn’t realize my error untilI read a tear sheet copy after the edition had gone to press. The heading on p.164 should really read:

          Guilty Counteragent: “Heartless,” “Hilarious,”“Humiliating” “Caricature” of Idiots (Burkean Burlesque) to Scathing Assaultson a “Lock ‘Er Up” Criminal (Burkean Factional Tragedy)

          Thatmay not seem to be much of a change from what’s there, but it would have savedme considerable embarrassment.

          Stilland all, pick up the pieces and go ONWARD, OUTWARD, and UP!

          Ed