[KB] as long as the pipeline is open

David Blakesley david.blakesley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 15:58:10 EDT 2017

And how fortunate we are here at Clemson that Don will be paying a visit to
my Bakhtin/Burke seminar next week!

There are many points of overlap between Burke and Bakhtin, even though
each is writing from a dramatically different context. Here's just one
teaser, a passage from Bakhtin's essay "Author and Hero in Aesthetic
Activity," that one my students pointed out (Whitney Jordan Adams) and that
reminded me of KB's concepts of identification/division and
constubstantiality:

This other human being whom I am contemplating, I shall always see and know
> something that he, from his place outside and over against me, cannot see
> himself: parts of his body that are inaccessible to his own gaze (his head,
> his face and its expression), the world behind his back…are accessible to
> me but not to him. As we gaze at each other, two different worlds are
> reflected in the pupils of our eyes…to annihilate this difference
> completely, it would be necessary to merge into one, to become one and the
> same person.
>

> This ever-present excess of my seeing, knowing and possessing in relation
> to any other human being, is founded in the uniqueness and irreplaceability
> of my place in the world (*Art and Answerability,* 23).

What's interesting is that Bakhtin's perspectives on concepts like
heteroglossia, dialogism, polyphony, and laughter help add texture to key
Burkeian ideas like terministic screens, competitive-cooperation, the comic
frame, identification, and more.

We'll report back after Don's visit!

Dave