[KB] Burkean wedding

Clarke Rountree rountrj at uah.edu
Mon Oct 16 12:50:09 EDT 2017

Dear Burkelers:

I attended a wedding of my department colleague, Candice Lanius, this
weekend. It was officiated by her dissertation director, Ekaterina Haskins,
who pronounced it a wedding of "rhetoric nerds." (Candice's husband, Gaines
Hubbell, also is a rhetorician in the English department.)

The happy couple asked that Professor Haskins begin the ceremony with a
reading of Burke's "Dialectician's Hymn." The rhetoricians in the crowd
were pleased (perhaps 4 of us). I'm sure others were confused!

It's the first "Burkean" wedding I have heard about. (My wife would have
killed me if I asked for a Burke reading!)

With all the depressing news lately, I thought this might be a pleasant bit
of distraction..

All happiness to Candice and Gaines!

Clarke

--