[KB] Editing Redux

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Sat Jan 28 12:32:38 EST 2017

Burkophiles,

          Onemore thing on “Archetype and Entelechy” in DD:That’s a book of Burke’s not much referenced, it seems. I probably wouldn’teven have a copy of it, except for the retired Clark U. professor who used topost on this list. He sent me a copy back in the day. I thought I saw thatsecond lecture anthologized somewhere, but do not recall the work. It’s not inGusfield’s collection. Has anybody else seen it somewhere outside of Dramatism and Development? It is, Ithink, an important and useful lecture/essay.

          Letme conclude, or maybe not conclude, by pointing to just some of the passages inearly Burke (that is, Burke’s writings before he gets to the generally“un-Troubled” concerns of a highly-abstracted pentad in the Grammar), that conjure the “Trouble”inherent in dramatic action as “conflict” of one degree or another in quest of“redemption” of some kind:

          “Recommendingby Tragedy” and “The Peace-War Conflict” in the Chapter “The Ethical Confusion”in P&C, pp. `93-98, and Burke’s “moralsare fists” interpretation of Bentham, the chapter just before. See, also, in P&C, Burke’s earlier reference tothe scapegoat mechanism as faulty means selection.

          “PoeticCategories” and “The Destiny of Acceptance Frames,” pp. 34-105; the distinctionbetween “universal” and “factional” tragedy in “The General Nature of Ritual,”pp. 188-90 note, in ATH. Burke couldhardly talk about, or distinguish among, genres or “Categories” of dramawithout getting into aspects of disorder through disobedience, guilt,sacrifice, and redemption---“Trouble,” if you will.

          Theubiquity of terms and concepts spelling out the “Trouble” of dramatic conflictin the “Philosophy of Literary Form,” PLF,pp. 1-137 (“Aspects of the Scapegoat in Reidentification,” “purification,”“redemption,” “burden,” “debt,” “disease,” “problem,” “evils,” “indictment,”“sacrifice,” etc.) And, of course, note Burke’s analysis of the scapegoatmechanism in “The Rhetoric of Hitler’s ‘Battle,’” pp. 191-220, a treatment oftroublous drama that does actually conclude with Burke’s using the term “trouble”  as “locus of” a drama’s inception on p. 220.

          And,although A Rhetoric of Motivesappears after, not before, the Grammar,RR still precedes Burke’s shift to“logology” and its more focused concerns with the negative, the motive ofperfection, the terms for order, and theological drama as epistemologicalfilter or frame, as master “terministic screen,” if you will. And I’m talkinghere about Burke’s later, more systematic “logological” treatments, sinceadumbrations of such concerns appear, for example, in RM in the “Pure Persuasion” section, and Divine action as “ultimate”anecdote of action in the Grammar (p.61 ff.). Hints of the logological or epistemological turn are scatteredthroughout early Burke.

          So,observe in RM the very opening ofBurke’s case for “identification” as “substance” applied to persusion/communicativegroup-cohesion-building in general: Burke starts via illustration ofColeridge’s insight, “’. . . in His vast family no Cain/ Injures uninjured (in her best aimed blow/ Victorious Murder ablind Suicide).’” That is, Burke begins with the fundamental “Trouble”inaugurating the human drama, the internal one, Freud’s indictment of the Egoby the Superego, generating and “Qualifying the Suicidal Motive,” or “Self-Immolation,”as Burke puts it (pp. 5, 7). We’ve got Milton’s Samson pulling down the ceilingon himself and the Philistines together, Arnold’s Empedocles jumping into avolcano, Arnold’s Rustum killing his son Sohrab as proxy for himself (like thefather Burke elsewhere references [RM,pp. 260-63] who felt an urge to through his son down from the top of a tallbuilding, as a form of self-destruction, that expresses the same motive inancient cultures in the sacrifice of the first-born, male, or male or female;in enlightened Biblical Israel, that first-born child was “redeemed,” boughtback from such a fate by payment of 5 shekels of silver; Exodus 13:1-2, 11-16;Numbers 18:15-16).

          In RM, Burke goes on to classify the rhetoras, in a sense, a “killer” who, by way of such symbolic aggression, usuallyturned outward, effects “transformation” via a reidentification that can knitspeaker and listeners together in common cause. Rhetoric, Burke says, “mustoften carry us far into the lugubrious regions of malice and the lie,” thesymbolic and so often material “Human Barnyard” (p. 23). Talk about “Trouble”!See “Order, the Secret, and the Kill” and “Pure Persuasion” for more dramatic“Trouble” and extreme self-sacrifice and/or extreme dramatic self-aggrandizement.

          That’sall I have to say in particular about the partly “Trouble[some],” as I see it,article in the current KBJ. However,Stan’s well-taken note that Burke’s “grammar of motives” is rooted in the basicgrammar of language raises for me, at least, the question: Does Burke own thepentad, or only his creative use of it?

          Again,inquiring minds want to know.

          Ed