[KB] Editing Redux

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Tue Jan 24 13:33:02 EST 2017

Jim M,

          There’sno doubt that Burke did not invent or first discover and explore the “Trouble”or “conflict” inherent in drama. Such analysis has been around for a long, longtime, as we know.

Phil,

          Thanksfor those quotes from your letter from Burke back in the 1970s. The more we getgeneral access to those more informal statements of Burke’s, the better. Thenotion of Burke urging a further “perfecting” of his philosophy by his readersand interpreters is both encouraging and characteristic of his style of thoughtand composition.

          JimK,

          Yousay you basically agree with me. I say I basically agree with you. In sayingthat I agree with the way you characterize the pentad and its function is tosay, also, that I agree with the authors of the “Trouble[some]” article in the KBJ on that score. They can’t find“Trouble” in the Grammar. There’s no need for “Trouble,” i.e.,the “conflict” of full-fledged drama and all its consequences, to be in the Grammar. These “basic forms of[pentadic] thought,” as Burke calls them, for “attributing motives,” derived asStan says from the grammar of language itself, can be used on what Burkeindicates is a “general,” high level of abstraction to bring to the surface ina discourse the motivational strategies at work to finesse listeners andreaders into concerted action. Those twists, feints, and sleights of hand maynot be apparent on the surface.

          WhatI disagree with in the KBJ article inquestion is the authors’ broader statement that “Trouble” is not to be foundanywhere in Burke’s corpus, that, indeed, this implicit and ultimatelynecessary dramatic concept should be attributed to Jerome Bruner, as Bruner hasinterpreted and employed Burke. Various terms and uses of the “Trouble[some]”guilt-sacrifice-redemption cycle are scattered throughout Burke’s earlywritings, and then in more detailed anatomical analysis, starting at least inBurke’s Princeton conference paper (1951), published as an appendix to the 2ndedition of P&C in 1954. Thechapter, “The First Three Chapters of Genesis,” in RR, we surely know, brings this trajectory to a most thoroughgoingconclusion.

          Now,in my Primer, I do two relevantthings: In the first three chapters, I show, I do believe, how theguilt-redemption cycle, or terms implicit in the idea of order, devolve fromthe pentad, or the basic grammar of language. Drama in all its aspects isimplicit in the language humans use even “trivially,” as Burke says early in RR, the book that brings this trajectoryof implications into full view, ifelliptically. I entitled Chapter 1 in the Primer, “The General, Implicitly MoralPattern of Verbal Action”; Chapter 2, “The Specific, Explicitly Moral Patternof Verbal Action”; Chapter 3, “A Paradigm for Invention of Discourse andAnalysis of Texts That Combines the Two Patterns.” This generic pattern thenbrcomes the basis for distinguishing Burke’s notions of “tragic” drama, “comic”drama, and “burlesque” drama, by way of various levels of dramatic intensity. Iadd my conception of “melodrama,” about which Burke does not have as much tosay.

In my Addendum 3, Iexplain, in my humble way, how the pentad can be detached from the trajectoryof implications Burke explicitly offers in “Terministic Screens” in LASA, and used as a “Separate CriticalTool.” I highlight three aspects of Burke’s creative employment of thesefundamental grammatical concepts:

First, in discurse, asin philosophies, one pentadic term, one of these basic forms of thought, tendsto get emphasized. I tie this tendency to Burke’s notions of “perfection” or“entelechy.”

Second, another pentadicterm will often be coupled with this source of overarching explanation in whatBurke calls a “ratio.”

Third, these basicforms of thought that imply one another are, in each case, not tied down to anyparticular entities or processes whatsoever. Pentadic terms are eminently“flexible.” I use “war” and the “human body” to show how they each can be anagent, act, purpose, means, or scene, depending on the route of strategicambiguity a rhetor chooses. Burke’s metaphor of the “alembic” of transformationvia the melting of metal serves as descriptive such strategic transformation. Ireference Clark Rountree’s superb book on “Motives in Bush vs. Gore” asillustration.

So I don’t think I’mstinting on the value and uniqueness of pentadic theory and criticism. I justhave not personally used it. I excuse that lacuna by reference to my admittedly“morbid” personality. That’s what Burke says is the drawback in pentadic theoryand criticism alone. It’s not MORBID enough. And “morbid[ity]” is “Trouble”!

All this raises theissue of late Burke in relation to early Burke. My simple mind sees morecongruities than dislocations between Burke before the 1950s, and Burke afterthe turn of the half-century.

But time’s up fortoday. That question for later.

Ed