[KB] Conversation Editing Redux 3

Phillip Tompkins tompkinp at Colorado.EDU
Sat Jan 21 17:32:52 EST 2017

Colleagues,

     I have been reading this exchange about "trouble" in the Pentad and
perhaps other constructs that Burke left us.  It seems to me that the
"trouble" is located mainly in the agents, and that reminded me of a written
exchange I had with KB.  In the 1970s I taught a freshman-level course in
rhetoric and communication at what is now called the University at Albany.
I began with the Definition of [Hu]man; the audio-visual people on campus
achieved a work of art illustrating it with sounds and sights.  Students
applauded it.  I sent a printed copy of it to KB in the hope we could
persuade him to visit our campus.

    "Thank you most cordially," his typewritten letter of November 16, 1974
began, "for your letter about my 'Definition of Man' and the charmingly
picturesque representation."  The second paragraph explained his delay in
responding to my letter.  The third paragraph began this way:

     "I might get at the point by saying that I have been thinking of
inserting one more clause in my Definition.  Probably between 'goaded by the
spirit of Hierarchy' and 'rotten with perfection,' I'd add 'acquiring
foreknowledge of death.'  It seems to be a notable distinctive aspect of
human motivation.  And maybe, in the last analysis, it is subsumed under the
term 'perfection,' in the somewhat ironic sense that, etymologically, the
'perfect' is the 'consummated,' the 'finished.'"

     This foreknowledge is located in the Agent, of course, where other
problems may be found.  KB went on to say that the thought of death had not
crept up on him in old age; "for thoughts of death exercised me most when I
was a child."  This letter has always meant to me that KB did not want us to
take his writings as "rotten with perfection," that he saw ways of improving
how he had expressed his basic ideas.  That means that we can enter into the
small drama of finding problems in that work, i.e., agency, and trying to
solve them.

     Sincerely,

     Phil