[KB] Conversation Editing Redux 2

bruderian at gmail.com bruderian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:03:44 EST 2017

Ed, Jim:

Addictions can be broken. I'm not sure I would characterize guilt, sacrifice, redemption as thee Iron law of history however pervasive the pattern is.  It is possible that this pattern, perfected by ages of theological social control, was simply laid over a more general dramatic pattern or cycle, for example the monomythic stages of the heroes quest. Instead of opposing guilt to innocence you might opt, should your preferences turn that way, to opposing innocence and experience.  Not that guilt is missing from the Blakean universe, but withdrawal, initiation and return appear to be more central or originary than guilt, sacrifice, redemption which may be a typical pattern for those who temporarily failed in their quest for identity.

Furthermore, conflict as a dramatic concept seems as derivative as "Trouble."  Surely where there's drama there is conflict. But it is a leap I think or a limitation of the associational possibilities to say where there's conflict there is Victimage.

Your moral conflict interpretation of dramatism is powerful yes, but it strikes me as conservative, homeostatic. Someone goes wrong and must be set right. Another iron law not of history but nature or evolution pushes adaptation to change over and above the instances of a working social homeostasis.  Not morality but ingenuity and idiocy seem to be driving our relationship to nature. I'm certainly not denying the efficacy of morality as a force that monitors, corrects and enhances  social cohesion, just pointing out that initiation into adulthood and membership in the community or culture or the withdraw from the community and the heroes quest for those experiences and skills needed to solve emergent problems is just as dramatic as the conscience-biting dramas of moral conflict.

The motto of a 1928 manifesto on writing pulp fiction plots was quite simple: Desire and Obstacle in Conflict. Perhaps an inappropriate pursuit of desire results in guilt and necessitates sacrifice in order to be redeemed and brought back within the ambit of the age old quests of humankind. Lamentable yes, to have been sidetracked through purgatory and into hell, but then tried, forged, annealed and "proven," one is certainly no longer innocent, we have to say he or she is now experienced, ready for a new class of drama.

Who is to say?

Leslie

Sent from my iPhone