[KB] Temporizing of essence. Re: anti-immigration rhetoric

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Mon Nov 28 20:46:58 EST 2016

One use of Burke's "temporizing of essence" is to talk about the
present indirectly by talking about the past (nativism, make America
great again, etc.).

Nativism today may be seen as a use of "temporizing of essence" to
take up a reactionary position in the identity politics of our time.
Today's temporizing may distinguish European immigration (our essence)
from non-European immigration (not part of our essence).

Viewing these matters more broadly, one might ask if identity politics
in our time distinguishes our period from earlier periods. Or maybe
identity politics took a different form in earlier periods.

Just a few thoughts--

Bob