[KB] anti-immigration rhetoric

Clarke Rountree rountrj at uah.edu
Sun Nov 27 13:35:53 EST 2016

Dear Burkelers:

I'm working on a paper on Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric and I have a
question: When was the last time a presidential candidate for a major
American political party ran on a nativist platform? I assume during the
1890-1920 period of anti-European sentiment or the late-19th century
anti-Chinese policies there were some major party candidates who used
anti-immigrant rhetoric. Or did McCarthyism support anti-immigrant
sentiment, or the opposite (to help those behind the Iron Curtain)?

In my lifetime I don't recall such a nativist candidate. (Wallace in 1972
was racist, but he wasn't representing a major party.)

Cheers,

Clarke

--
Dr. Clarke Rountree
Chair and Professor of Communication Arts
clarke.rountree at uah.edu