[KB] The Trumpster's Burlesque, etc.

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Sat Oct 29 12:39:38 EDT 2016

Ed, I don't know anything about the next KBS conference.

You're right, I'm sure there is good stuff out there but coming from
English I always had to give speech scholarship lower priority and now
in retirement I read mainly philosophy. But I do usually try to catch
up on some things I missed in the weeks before a KBS conference.

Another thought occurred to me about Trump and burlesque. One of the
things Burke stresses about burlesque is that it helps to put painful
things at a distance. Burlesque protects by not imagining people "with
too great intimacy. For to picture them intimately, he must be one
with them" (ATH 53). Possibly there is a Trump variant derived from
his personality disorder: because of his lack of empathy he can't "be
one" with anyone. He instinctively burlesques everyone by carrying
himself in a way that puts them at a lower level, distant from his
heights, doing it easily because he is never in the shoes of the
other, imaging how it feels. Such things as derogatory nicknames for
his rivals come naturally.

Just a thought--

Bob