[KB] Burkean identification and Trump + Burke on narcissism

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Mon Oct 24 21:21:04 EDT 2016

Hi David,

In response, I would say "anger, bigotry, fear" are among the motives
that motivate Trump supporters to identify with Trump and with one
another.

Ironically, with the possible exception of bigotry, I doubt that they
are Trump's main motives, which appear to come from a "narcissistic
personality disorder," with its three prongs: (1) narcissism, which
compensates for (2) deep insecurity, fostering extraordinary
defensiveness (Trump can't let any slight go no matter how slight),
and (3) absence of empathy--(1) and (2) don't leave room for anyone
else.

My guess is that (1) is why he ran and that (2) is why, now that he is
behind, everything in the world is rigged against him. (2) is also why
he would be especially scary in the White House.

It might be interesting to track down everything Burke says about
narcissism to see how much of it applies to Trump.

Bob