[KB] Burkean identification and Trump

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Fri Oct 21 18:01:01 EDT 2016

Burkeans,

Burke's concept of identification may illuminate and be illuminated by
the Trump campaign. A few observations (no doubt there are others):

It may be far easier to prevent identification from solidifying than
to break it once it occurs. Trump's core supporters now appear to
believe anything he says, no matter how outlandish.

Late in the primaries, I saw a TV report of Cruz walking into a small
crowd of Trump supporters to try to change their minds. A few of them
starting chanting "lyin Ted," mimicking Trump. Such mimicking says
something about how identification could lead to groups of
"trump-shirts" roaming the streets to enforce Trump's will.

Identification could be viewed as a good thing that can go bad, as in
Burke's recounting of a "bad filling of a good need" (PLF 218). But
maybe it would be better to view identification as an analytic rather
than an honorific concept to require always taking the extra step to
explain what makes an identification good or bad.

Bob