[KB] Burke & the Division of Labor

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Thu Sep 15 16:53:46 EDT 2016

All,

	One of Burke’s examples of the “unifying term” as deflector from gross inequality of sacrifice, privilege, rewards, and motivations was the WWII profiteer who would speak of how “we’re all in this conflict together.” The implicitly unifying identifier “we” in that context so strikingly illustrates the use of “ambiguity” in rhetorical appeal. It put executives at Ford and GM, and GIs being blown apart in Europe and the Pacific, on the same footing.. Up to a point, necessarily vague abstractions of a public-spirited cast legitimately serve to keep societies and polities from coming apart at the seams. Up to a point.

	What’s happened this political season is the result of a sharp fraying or tarring of that social fabric.  The success of both Sanders and Trump vouchsafes that disintegration. Forty years of globalization of USAmerican jobs and once-middle-class incomes, to the conspicuous advantage of wealthy owners and executives, who now manufacture more cheaply and sell world-wide, and obvious disadvantage to working class citizens, high school level or lower, has come home to roost. Trump has become the mouthpiece for these ignored and neglected Americans, their plight studiously finessed with the rhetoric of “re-education” for the new technologies, or assurances that “Americans can compete with anybody.” (True, of course, at one dollar an hour.) A wild man like Donald Trump could not likely survive in a less volatile economic situation. He is so cleverly exploiting this one: “I will be your voice!”

	On our private Burkean discussion list, I said long ago that Trump is functioning like a Rorschach Test. He’s the indistinct picture of rage onto which people can project a multitude of grievances. He’s a walking negative: Whatever it is we are doing now that’s taken away our American Dream, “Trump, thank heaven, isn’t that!” All those Clinton adds with Trump spouting invectives?---who are they really helping?

	Ed