[KB] Burke & the Division of Labor

Jim Moore jimmijcat at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:14:29 EDT 2016

There's a lot about division of labor in RM near the indexed portion "man

under communism."

"Dialectically, the Marxist analysis would apparently begin with a principle of

division where idealism begins with a principle of merger.  And, as regards the

purposes of rhetoric, it admonishes us to look for its 'mystification' at any

point where the social divisiveness caused by property and the division of

labor is obscured by unitary terms (as with terms whereby a state, designed

to protect a certain structure of ownership, is made to seem equally

representative of both propertied and propertyless classes).  Indeed, we

find the stress upon private property as a rhetorical motive so convincing,

that we question whether communism is possible under the conditions

of extreme specialization (division of labor) required by modern industry.

_The German Ideology_ explicitly pictures man under communism, shifting

from job to job like a Jack-of-all-trades, as the mood strikes him (hunting in

the morning, fishing in the afternoon, rearing cattle in the evening, and

criticizing after dinner, "without ever becoming hunter, fisherman shepherd

or critic").  Given the highly specialized nature of modern technology, which

requires of its operators an almost Puritanic severity of application, if so

dilettantelike a way of life as Marx describes is the sign of a true communist

society, then every step in the evolution of Soviet Russian industry would

seem likely to take it farther from a world free of the cleavage that arises

with the division of labor (and with the separation of property that goes

with it, and the disparate states of consciousness that go with that)."

A Rhetoric of Motives p. 108-109

Jim