[KB] Burke & the Division of Labor

wessr at oregonstate.edu wessr at oregonstate.edu
Mon Sep 12 21:16:35 EDT 2016

I don't think Burke ever "rejected" Marxism. Instead, I think he
tended to see himself incorporating Marxism into his own system
(Marxists would no doubt object to the incorporation but that is a
different story).

At the end of his response to Jameson, for example, Burke insists on
starting with symbol-using rather than class struggle, but adds that
the study of the symbol-using animal "can welcome the topic of class
struggle as a notable contribution" (Critical Inquiry 5.2 [1978]: 416).

An example would be the argument in Rhetoric of Motives that
symbol-using animals are "classifying" animals before they are "class"
animals (282-83). "Class" in the Marxist sense is one mode of
classifying but not the only one. "Classifying" is prior.

The things he took from Marx were things he thought could be applied
to a critique of the current state of things. I don't think he limited
Marx to a prediction about the future.

That being said, he did see the Marxist narrative of history as a
particularly good example of how an "ultimate" terminology works as
persuasion (RM 189-97). The Marxist "ultimate" terminology turns a
mere worker into the proletariat, an agent of history. He is not
defending this narrative in this section, but he is using it as a model.

Bob