[KB] Burke, Rhetoric of Neutrality

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Fri Apr 17 14:21:13 EDT 2015

Pierre and Greg,

Greg is certainly correct that Burke opposes the "scientistic" notion of a "neutral" vocabulary.  Yet, at the same time, one of the criticisms of Burke has been that his "comic-frame" respect for the "parliamentary," the democratic requirement to bring into deliberation all the competing voices on a matter, makes for, or induces toward, frozen inaction.  Burke claims, in ATH, that he's not arguing for such inaction, but rather for "maximum consciousness" of oneself and the alternatives, observation of oneself while, and no doubt before, acting.  Burke's demurrer, however, has not altogether solved the problem for many.

Hence Herb Simons' challenge toward Burke on the question of "warrantable outrage," and the essay (in RSQ) by Greg and me on a strategy to resolve this Burkean dilemma in a time of dire crisis, where and when Burkean due deliberation might have ended up with the Japanese occupying our west coast, and the Germans lording it over our eastern seaboard.

Burke's "comic frame" as paradigm for overcoming the blinkered myopia of symbolic action can be seen, and has been seen, as a doubtful prescription for just such a "rhetoric of neutrality."

Don't just "do" something!  Sit there together, talk till you blue in the face, and DON'T do anything about it!

Ed