[KB] Burke, Rhetoric of Neutrality

wessr at onid.orst.edu wessr at onid.orst.edu
Fri Apr 17 13:55:01 EDT 2015

Hi Pierre, good to hear your project is progressing. I remember our
talk in Ghent.

Here are a few Burke texts that come to mind:

(1) "Our Attempt to Avoid Mere Relativism," the final section of
"Terministic Screens."

(2) RHETORIC OF MOTIVES, p. 201 (juxtapose with Bentham)

(3) GRAMMAR OF MOTIVES, p. 442.

Of these, (3) might be most useful for creating, as you put it, an
"atmosphere of neutrality in specific contexts."

I think Burke would oppose any theorizing of neutrality that
eliminated motive on the ground that that is a kind of dramatistic
self-contradiction (such theorizing is itself an act, so must have a
motive). But there is an alternative: (3) suggests the possibility of
"a level of motivation which even wholly rival doctrines of motives
must share in common." A motive shared by all is in a sense neutral to
all.

Good luck with your project.

Bob