[KB] Burke, Deacon, and Theology

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Tue Mar 24 13:38:16 EDT 2015

Burkophiles,

	Before I get into summary reflections on Deacon/Cashman, symbolism, theology, and dramatism, I think I need to add more on D and C’s take on the third synergy, the one that begets the particularly “religious” emotions.  The reason is, as I read between the lines, the dislogistic expressions “idiosyncratic” and “idiot savants” ring in the background, for me at least, in the authors’ treatment of the emergence of “narrative” and the “virtual” symbolic world of “hidden” meanings and beliefs that derives from the “thesaurus” complex.  These two coalescences lead, as I mentioned, or can be seen to lead, up and into the airy realm of supernatural Beings, essences, and eternal destinations.  If you’re a scientist, you’re in trouble going there.  Kenneth Miller at Brown University (author of Finding Darwin’s God: A Scientist’s Search for Common Ground Between God and Evolution) is both a renowned evolutionary biologist
 and practicing Roman Catholic, but you won’t find many in that mold.  That’s why Miller is called on so frequently to testify against Creationists in states like Kansas.  He has impeccable credentials on both sides of the debate.  Call it a kind of cross-referencing ethos.  Call it the power of dialectical identification.

	In what we’ve said so far about Deacon and Cashman on the emotional synergy, there’s more of an implicit respect emanating there, I surmise, owing to a somewhat less supramundane trajectory from those discordant combinations of the cognitive-cum-emotional features of mammals in general.  This globally sublime, more universally applicable, sense of emotional emergence comes out strongest in the authors’ treatment of the distinctively “ethical” dimensions of symbolic life.

	Deacon and Cashman suggest more regard for the emotional synergies that anatomize these “religious/spiritual experiences: awe, reverence, a sense of the sacred,” yes, but also “selfless action for others, a sense of unity with the cosmos, charity, humility and lovingkindness.”  These higher-order, ethically-tinged, emotional synergies can characterize nontheistic Buddhists, the religiously tolerant humanists I commune with at UUCL, the spiritual dimensionality sought by the Sam Harrises of the world,* anyone who thinks deeply and inclusively about man and woman’s creaturely place and social obligations in this unfathomable universe.  “Religion” in this sense becomes a common quest for inner peace and harmony that goes beyond brand-name transcendental dogmas.  I sense Deacon and Cashman’s putting more of an imprimatur on such dispositions, accessible to all.

	Here’s the ethical/emotional injunction Deacon and Cashman find most illustrative of the novel, contradictory, and emergent nature of distinctively human feelings and attitudes: “One of the most extreme cases of symbolic synergy in the ethical realm is the religious virtue indicated by the request: ‘Love thine enemies.  Do good to those who harm you.’  Clearly, this is an injunction that juxtaposes some of the most deeply ingrained but mutually incompatible emotional predispositions.  What the reductionist explanations of religious origins overlook, then, is the authentic human value of emergent emotional experiences that are the intended effect of certain religious symbols and practices.”  Such a radical cognitive-emotional synergy “undermine[s] the more mundane and normal relationships with the physical world” no nonsymbolic mammal would have a clue to.

	Maybe a summation yet before I invite you to retreat back into your dogmatic slumbers.

	Ed

	*”I thought I Hated the New Atheists, Then I Read Sam Harris’s New Book,” Trevor Quirk, New Republic, September 10, 2014, review of Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion.