[KB] "Deacon"-structing Burke Part Whatever

liminal64 at yahoo.com liminal64 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 14:56:12 EST 2014

Another "perhaps" may lie in definitions of "religious." It being Veterans Day with all the typical ceremonial hoopla and transmogrification of the veteran flooding the airwaves--a national cult reminiscent of those Roman cults that invented Christmas and Empire worship in the first place--to what better "text" can we look for the slip on the banana peel fall into authoritarianism?  Surely, this national cult of the kill involves religious motives, though not in everyday terminology. Is this conversation becoming trapped by its definitional terms, framed by an understanding of religion derived from the Western church rather than an anthropological understanding of the religious motive in socially constructed discourses?

--Jerry

Sent from my iPhone