[KB] "Trivial Repetition," "Dull, Daily Reenforcement"

Edward C Appel edwardcappel at frontier.com
Wed Sep 17 14:57:55 EDT 2014

Bob and All,

	Your list for “trivial repetition and dull, daily reinforcement” by the left would be as good as mine.  Maybe we could start by taking a cue from Teddy Roosevelt, much on the agenda at PBS the last three nights.  TR comes across as a ridiculous, I’m-altogether-right-and-you’re-altogether-wrong, heroism-obsessed blowhard in some ways, but as also a great man, great leader, and great egalitarian spirit, as well.  (Not perfectly egalitarian, for sure, but wondrously so for his time.)

	Roosevelt’s mantra about the Constitution being for the good of the people as a whole, rather than vice versa, a strait jacket into whose supposedly tight 18th-century constraints all contemporary common sense has to be bound, should be our guiding principle, too (see Burke on the “Dialectic of Constitutions,” GM).

	The first question I’d ask, though, is, where do we find the USAmerican political “left?  I know one place I can find the left-wing US commentariat.  See the amalgam of voices gathered together on CommonDreams.org, for instance.  But among our political leaders?  Maybe Warren and Sanders, but even Sanders echoes Obama on the taxation question: The wealthy ought to be paying “a little bit more.”  A LITTLE bit more?  When their contribution to the commonweal has gone from 51 percent of earnings 60 years ago to about 16 percent today, less than the average middle-class earner?  When average CEO pay has burgeoned from 40 to 1 to 400 to 1 in respect to average salaries in a given industry in the past three to four decades?  When a candidate for the presidency can get away with disclosing one, and only one, tax return, at 13 percent (!), and still run for that highest and supposedly exemplary office, and get away with it?

	I don’t see much of a “political left” in our nation, or much of a sense of what a “political left” should look like, among our citizenry.  (See Donald Barlett and James Steele, The Betrayal of the American Dream, for requisite numbers; see Thomas Frank, What’s the Matter with Kansas, on how Democrats have become only “marginally better” than Republicans; see a study by Martin Gilens [Princeton] and Benjamin Page [Northwestern] on how “’the preferences of the average American appear to have only a miniscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy,’” [“Disease of American Democracy,” Robert Reich, 8/21/14], as the result of the takeover of political outcomes by Congress’s and the executive’s  corporate paymasters.)

	But, if we had a “political left” of some dimensions (let’s fantasize!), what would be the three most salient issue-positions I’d recommend a strong, repetitive, dull, daily emphasis upon?  It would be the two I recommended in “Democratic Narrative” and in my post on the nefarious Iraq War, to wit:

	Drum home “agaaaiiinnn and aggaaaiiinnn and agaaaiiinnn” (I can hear FDR exclaiming it!) what’s happen, by DELIBERATE policy on one side of the aisle, and culpable acquiescence on the other, to USAmerican jobs, USAmerican taxation, and USAmerican debt, over the last three and a half decades.  American jobs have been exported to low-wage sweat shops in Asia, Indonesia, Mexico, and beyond, to the economic benefit of the entrepreneurial class, who can then sell their products to consumers worldwide.  They don’t need Americans to make their goods, nor do they need them as much to buy their goods.  Manufacture cheap and sell across the globe.  You lose your high-paying factory job as a result?  Go work for McDonalds!

	And while we’re at it, let’s cut taxes to the bone.  “Starve the beast!”  As Reagan insiders Donald Stockman and Bruce Bartlett have revealed, the idea was to cut taxes to such an extent, and run up deficits so onerous, Congress and some future administration would be forced to dismantle the “welfare state.”  George W. Bush admirably followed suit, at the outset of his dubious war, no less!---and there’s reported evidence on things that Bush privately said that indicate he was just as deliberate.  (See Venomous Speech: Problems with American Political Discourse on the Right and Left, pp. 109-116, for ample documentation.)
	Democrats left fingerprints over all of this chicanery, as well.

	Who’s got clean-enough hands to pound home this narrative, repeatedly, in our day, and the political courage to boot?

	More, later, on the other two mantras, and how Heath and Heath might simplify the tale---and on the "identification" angle.

	Ed