[KB] "Trivial Repetition," "Dull, Daily Reenforcement"

Gregory Desilet info at gregorydesilet.com
Fri Sep 12 13:58:27 EDT 2014

While I admit I venture skeptically and cynically into the can of worms that is American politics and foreign policy, I have to disagree with you on this posting, Ed. I think Obama has done a reasonable job in attempting to extricate us from our military involvements in the Middle East. No matter what course of action chosen, the likelihood of broad approval would be slim (damned if he does this, damned if he does that).

American and British involvement in the Middle East has had a long and tortured history—due to alliances there and dependency on oil. The Gulf War was, in my opinion, a necessary action and it rightly received broad international support. The big mistake we made—the mistake made by Colin Powell and Bush Sr—was to leave Saddam in power. Granted, the U.S. did not have international support to go all the way to Baghdad, but after Saddam set fire to the oil wells in Kuwait, Bush Sr. had the high ground for pursuing him and no one on the international scene would have had substantial moral or political ground to oppose such action. At that point in time, due to the international coalition created for the Gulf War, the U.S. could have removed Saddam from power and left the U.N. and the international community with the task of overseeing nation re-building in Iraq. If, subsequently, the political scene in Iraq blew up, the international community would have been as involved as the U.S. in overseeing and cleaning up the mess. The U.S. would not have had to go it alone—as was the case following the Iraq War.

As things happened, Bush Jr. had to confront the mess left by his father and the poor decision he and Powell made. If Bush Jr. had not acted, the Saddam problem would have continued to fester until another American president would be forced to confront him and his militant aggression in the Middle East again—and possibly under worse circumstances. Bush Jr. seized an opportunity to do what should have been done previously—remove Saddam from power. Unfortunately, the situation no longer drew international support and Bush should have backed off until he could get such support. That he did not do this was his big mistake.

Whether we like it or not, the U.S. has an intricate set of involvements and commitments in the Middle East and there is no easy short cut political way to change that history. The only good thing to do at this point is attempt to learn from past mistakes and make better decisions regarding our actions there. Thus far, Obama has been reluctant to repeat mistakes of the past. He is building international support for American actions regarding Iraq and Syria. I doubt very much he will commit any large number of boots on the ground there during the rest of his term. He will let the various factions fight it out among themselves, while lending modest and cautious support to the factions that appear closer to our interests. That few hawks or doves in the U.S. will like this approach is a given, and Obama knows this. But thus far he has had the courage to chart the unpopular course—one that exposes him to criticism from every side. I think he deserves credit for that since, as I say, I believe it’s the better from among a lot of ugly options.

Greg Desilet